Monday, June 27, 2011

Cherries and mini strawberries and yet more cherries.


Our family day out, in Podhum, this time involved tresnje (cherries) and the action of picking them.... mainly to just wolf them down on the spot, as I am sure those who have strawberry picked in the U.K will understand... 'they don't charge for what's in your belly, right?'

The B land
These cherries, however, were free as they grow on the Family B's land. We spent a day in the sun climbing ladders, taking pictures, picking and eating our body weights in cherries. Nyum! There was a rostilj (BBQ), chatting, and pleasant walks throughout the B land. All of that area belongs to the extended B family as it was given to a Turkish soldier/commander after the Ottoman Empire conquered Bosnia. All of the B family descend from this man and the name is rooted totally in that area. So, in a manner of speaking, I married into the aristocracy.... not that I see the monetary benefits of that presently, just a belly load of free cherries...

Mini strawberries are also on offer up the mountain. They are tiny strawberries the size of a pea, but perfectly formed. They taste like the sherbet straws I over indulged on as a kid.

As I write these blogs I sometimes wonder why, on earth, I am planning on heading back to the U.K.





No comments:

Post a Comment